Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sofia Barao!

I was thrilled when I received an email a few months ago from Sofia Barao! I have been a fan of her works and her beautiful blog for awhile now...I am delighted to announce that she will be participating in the Teeny Tiny Art Show for the first time - here's a sneak preview!


Sofia's work is based on a juxtaposition of different materials and techniques (acrylics, papers, photos, graphite, wax, collage, sewing, transfers …) that validate her ideas and make them happen to others eyes. She works in different mediums such as painting, collage, photography, lomography and she also creates unique objects.

Sofia loves everything vintage and romantic and is passionate about the end of the 19th and early 20th century era. She grew up in Portugal, studied in Switzerland, and now lives in a small town in France (L'Isle Adam, which is in the middle of a forest between a river and a lake) just 45 minutes from Paris.


A snipit from her artist statement...

"I see my work as wall pieces where layers of paint, papers, drawings and
images can be seen as if time had started its work of forgetness, of erasement.
A poetic and decay atmosphere. My work is a reflection of myself. My childhood,
the way I see life and death, my woman’s life...

I strive to keep a
trace, to question identity and memories, to reinvent a story, to rebuild a
past, maybe my own.



Nature, time and the Woman are the main themes of my work. The Woman in
particular, inspires me; I seek her, decorticate her, and invent her. She's part
of a whole in my work. I question myself about the relationship between women
and time that passes by: through them, on them, with them.



My work is definitely about my quest for my missing part..."



And here are 25 Random Things About Sofia Barao ~ Enjoy!




1. I prefer to work in the morning light

2. Scandinavia fascinates me

3. I was born one year after the Carnation Revolution in Portugal


4. Autumn is my favourite season


5. I lived in 3 countries

6. I’m a shadow chaser



7. Watermelon and Sharon fruit are my favourite fruits

8. I collect beach sand in little bottles


9. I lost my mother at the age of 13

10. I live 45 minutes away from the Eiffel Tower in Paris


11. My father was a singer and he created his own music instruments

12. I like to eat a fennel every summer day

13. I dream of a studio by the sea in Portugal


14. I was raised by my sister

15. My family emigrated to Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland and Macao

16. I like to read philosophy and psychology magazines

17. I drink herbal and fruit infusions all day long

18. My dream place for an exhibition is the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon


19. I need to practice yoga 4 times a week

20. I would love to write a book

21.My favourite cookie is a Belgian cookie, called speculoos


22. Nostalgia is a friend

23. I always work on my knees on the floor

24. Erik Satie is my favourite composer


25. I like the smell of old books




No comments:

Post a Comment