"I see my work as wall pieces where layers of paint, papers, drawings and
images can be seen as if time had started its work of forgetness, of erasement.
A poetic and decay atmosphere. My work is a reflection of myself. My childhood,
the way I see life and death, my woman’s life...
I strive to keep a
trace, to question identity and memories, to reinvent a story, to rebuild a
past, maybe my own.
Nature, time and the Woman are the main themes of my work. The Woman in
particular, inspires me; I seek her, decorticate her, and invent her. She's part
of a whole in my work. I question myself about the relationship between women
and time that passes by: through them, on them, with them.
My work is definitely about my quest for my missing part..."
And here are 25 Random Things About Sofia Barao ~ Enjoy!
2. Scandinavia fascinates me
4. Autumn is my favourite season
5. I lived in 3 countries
6. I’m a shadow chaser
7. Watermelon and Sharon fruit are my favourite fruits
8. I collect beach sand in little bottles
9. I lost my mother at the age of 13
10. I live 45 minutes away from the Eiffel Tower in Paris
11. My father was a singer and he created his own music instruments
12. I like to eat a fennel every summer day
13. I dream of a studio by the sea in Portugal
14. I was raised by my sister
15. My family emigrated to Belgium, Germany, France, Switzerland and Macao
16. I like to read philosophy and psychology magazines
17. I drink herbal and fruit infusions all day long
18. My dream place for an exhibition is the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation in Lisbon
19. I need to practice yoga 4 times a week
20. I would love to write a book
21.My favourite cookie is a Belgian cookie, called speculoos
22. Nostalgia is a friend
23. I always work on my knees on the floor
24. Erik Satie is my favourite composer
25. I like the smell of old books